Do you think your students could be the new art aficionados? Through the Saint Louis Art Fair presented by Centene Charitable Foundation (SLAF) Student Art Aficionados Program, your school could be a part of a one of a kind arts education experience.
- Opportunity to receive a FREE permanent work of art for your school.
- Students explore the world of art through classroom exercises, discussions, and video modules provided by SLAF.
- SLAF will provide an in-class study guide with curriculum and exercises to help students understand and appreciate art as more than just personal taste but as it influences and represents culture and as a business.
- Schools select three students to represent their school at the Saint Louis Art Fair on Saturday, September 9, 2017.
- Given a budget to work with, these teams of students will work together to select and purchase art for installation in their school. At least one work of art will be donated to the Saint Louis Art Fair’s Public Art Collection, which travels to area schools, hospitals, and community centers. Artwork will be labeled as purchased by the “Students of School Name” and the year, leaving a lasting impact on the collection and community.
- Students will review SLAF’s Public Art Collection and help determine what work is needed to compliment the current collection while following SLAF guidelines such as size, durability, and mobility.
- The student teams present their selection(s) at the Student Art Aficionados Showcase before their student body and a panel of experts. This showcase calls upon students to present and justify their purchases from the festival.
- Schools located in the Greater Saint Louis Metropolitan Area
- Anyone may submit the application on behalf of the school – teachers, administrators, parents, etc.
- Geared for grades 5th-9th
- One application per school
- 13 schools will be selected for participation
The program culminates in an authentic art buying experience at the internationally recognized Saint Louis Art Fair, September 9, 2017.
- Application deadline – Monday, May 22, 2017 11:59 pm CST
- School Notification – Wednesday, May 31, 2017
- Student Representatives Permission Slips Due – Friday, August 25, 2017
- On-Site SLAF Buying Experience – Saturday, September 9, 2017 from 11:00am-4pm
- Student Showcase – Thursday, September 28, 2017
- Art Installation – Week of October 16, 2017
In a time when the arts are being threatened by budget cuts, this program aims to give students an authentic art-buying experience to install artwork in their schools while leaving a profound, lasting impact on the community.
In addition to empowering young people with an opportunity to experience art in a new way, the team-building, business, and presentation components of this program will further develop communication skills inside and outside the classroom. Giving students a platform to express and expound their opinions is an invaluable learning experience. Students participating in this program will have the privilege to know they have the ability to personally leave a positive, lasting impact on their schools and community.
- An addition to consider:
- This program is a cross-curricular opportunity asking students to use a variety of skills correlating with Missouri State Standards including, but not limited to:
- Visual Arts: FA3, FA4
- Mathematics: GM A/GM B
- Social Studies: SS4 1.10, SS6 1.6
- Language Arts: ELA Speaking and Listening
- Crosscutting Concepts such as “scale, proportion and quantity” also “structure and function”
The Deadline for 2017 has past.